Monday, January 24, 2011

Report: Cutler Tore MCL vs. Packers

According to the Chicago Sun-Times, Bears QB Jay Cutler suffered a torn medial collateral ligament (MCL) in his left knee during the Bears' 21-14 loss to the Packers in the NFC Championship Game.

Veteran center Olin Kreutz said he was surprised Cutler stayed in the game as long as he did with the injured knee.

"It was shaking right after he took the hit and walked back into the huddle," Kreutz said. "It was swinging. I knew that one of his ligaments probably went."

Bears fans were burning Cutler's jersey and one newspaper headline read, "Jay Quitler". It's unclear if this news will appease fans. Something tells me they still won't be happy believing that Cutler quit on his team and should have been able to play through the injury.

Other players were tweeting all night on this. Here's a sample:

Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew wrote, “All I’m saying is that he can finish the game on a hurt knee… I played the whole season on one.”

Former NFL lineman and current ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth wrote, “As a guy how had 20 knee surgeries you’d have to drag me out on a stretcher to Leave a championship game!”

Cardinals defensive lineman Darnell Dockett wrote, “If I’m on chicago team jay cutler has to wait till me and the team shower get dressed and leave before he comes in the locker room!”

Jaguars linebacker Kirk Morrison wrote, “Jay Cutler better go put some Tussin on that knee and get back out there.”

Deion Sanders wrote, “Im telling u in the playoffs u must drag me off the field. All the medicine in pro lockerooms this dude comes out! I apologize bear fans! . . . Folks i never question a players injury but i do question a players heart.

Brian Urlacher defended his quarterback's toughness.

“Jay was hurt. I don’t question his toughness, he’s tough as hell,” Urlacher said. “He’s one of the toughest players on our football team. He doesn’t complain when he gets hit. He goes out there and plays every Sunday, he practices every single day, so no we don’t question his toughness.”

If Urlacher doesn't question Cutler's toughness, I certainly won't.


No comments: